Monday, November 15, 2021

Bread, bread, and more bread (links)

 This page will serve the function of keeping track of the bread recipes that I have made and hope to make again.

Ful-Filled Basic Sourdough Bread with guide:

This makes amazing bread!  It is worth all the extra steps.  We love it for everything from egg sandwiches to grilled cheese to soup.  I like that it doesnt use more than a few tablespoons of starter.  I dont like that it takes 3 days to make.  It's not a lot of hands on time but it just requires planning ahead.

Recipe note: I pretty much follow the guide exactly.  I dont have a dutch oven so I preheat my oven to 500 (but my oven rarely gets that hot) and then I reduce the heat to 450-465 when I put the bread in.  I also add a few cups of water to a tray at the bottom of the oven for steam.  I would like to try this with less bread flour and see if I still love this bread.

Jeffrey's Sourdough Rye from KAB:

This makes a pretty dense rye in a good way.  We had hoped to use it for open faced turkey sandwiches but it's a bit too dense for that.  I will make it again to use for stuffing (along with an assortment of other breads).  

Recipes notes: I doubled the amount of starter just because it doesn't ever seem like much.  One time, I ran out of enough rye for the dough and it was a very different bread (lighter, more open crumb) and also delicious.

Naturally Leavened Sourdough from KAB:

This is my go to, our house bread.  It's perfect for everything from egg sandwiches to soup.  I like that it uses a ton of starter but sometimes I panic that I am low on starter and have to grow it before I can make this bread.

Recipes notes: I prefer to let it rest in the bread forms overnight in the fridge.  It enhances the sourdough flavor and it makes it easier to score it neatly.

Sourdough Baguettes from KAB:

I make a full recipe but make 4 baguettes with it. They are perfect size for garlic bread or meatball sandwiches but they are a bit big when you slice them for appetizers.  

Recipe notes: I line my baguette pans with parchment. I use the full amount of yeast if I am using discard or half the yeast if I am using a well fed starter. I dont slash the tops since it's too slack of a dough for it.

Fresh Milled Spelt Sourdough from KAB:

This was my first bread that required many steps (creating a levain, a soaker, and a dough).  It was definitely worth the effort.  Looking back, it required minimal hands on time but did require 3 days of planning my time (this includes making sure my starter was fed and ready to go).  It had a chewiness to it, almost nutty.  I would use this bread for everything.

Recipes notes: I had spelt flour in the freezer so I used that instead of milling fresh (I used a little less water in the soaker).  I had my best success to date with scoring on this bread and the rise was perfect.  Make sure to give the bread plenty of space to grow.  Mine merged together (gasp!).

No comments:

Post a Comment