Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Cream cheese

This is a super simple cream cheese recipe.  I will admit to making it solely for the purpose of making cheesecake.

UPDATE and UPDATE: I am working on a new cream cheese recipe.  This one FAILED last time I made it... AND again it failed me!  I am working on a new technique.

Cream cheese
yields 3-4 cups of cream cheese

1/2 gallon milk or cream (raw is best, but just use the best cream you can get)
1/4 teaspoon mesophilic starter culture

Pour your milk into a glass jar (if it's isnt already!) and add the culture.  Stir (I shake gently).  Set jar on the counter for 8-24 hours with a loose lid.  The longer you let it sit, the tangier your cream cheese will be.

After 8-24 hours, strain the cream cheese using cheesecloth (or a clean pillowcase) in a strainer.  Strain for at least 12 hours.  The longer you let it strain, the thicker your cream cheese will be.

Add any flavorings at this point (chives and some salt, cinnamon, garlic, fruit) and chill in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment