Monday, April 7, 2014

Chocolate Syrup

The BIG kid loves chocolate milk after a long run or bike ride and I'm sick of buying the processed stuff, so I made my own chocolate syrup today.  It passed the kid test.  We'll see if it passes the Daddy test next. (update: he LOVES it!  I'm making my third batch.)

Check it out here or below.


Chocolate Syrup
(a double batch fits nicely in the small neck jar that I use)

1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla (or try it with any extract, raspberry would be amazing! Espresso powder would be fun too.)

In a small saucepan, add sugar, cocoa, salt, and water.  Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat and cook 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Cool.

I poured mine into a glass jar with a narrow neck.  It's a little bit thinner than a store bought syrup, so it pours nicely.

Store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment