Monday, February 24, 2014

Mongolian-ish Stir Fry

This is so simple and so good.  We mostly make it with tofu but I really want to make it with chicken and shrimp, since the kids still arent thrilled about tofu.

update: We made it with chicken and shrimp tonight and everyone was happy!

Eliza's Mongolian-ish Stir-fry
Serves 4 adults

1 block extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed*
2 teaspoons oil for frying
carrots, cut into matchsticks
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated (I've made it without it, but it's so good with it)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
splash of maple syrup
green beans, defrosted and cut into bite size pieces
1 scallion chopped (I didnt have, it's a garnish)
fresh lime juice (I always forget it)

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the tofu and carrots to the hot skillet and cook until browned on all sides.
While the tofu is cooking, combine the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame vinegar, and maple. Mix well.
When tofu has browned, add the sauce and green beans, stir until sauce thickens.
Serve with brown rice, rice (our favorite!) or soba noodles, and garnish with green onion and a squeeze of lime.

*After trying many different techniques, I finally found one that works best for pressing tofu.  I wrap it whole in 3 paper towels (I'm going to try a dish towel next!) and place it on a cookie cooling rack under a cast iron pan for hours.  I like to start pressing it over lunch for dinner.  After it's pressed, I cube it.

No comments:

Post a Comment